Second instalment on Sandpiper restoration

Once the boat was in the workshop we started to dismantle the old deck and deck stringers to see what we had to play with, as you can see once all the old woodwork was taken out we then scraped all the varnish and paint off the inside of the planking, repaired any cracking and then started putting in new knees, new thwart and seat supports, new deck stringers and then scarfe up new foredecks and side decks.

We decided to laminate the side deck to foredeck area as we do in our Merlin Rockets as it is a better structural job due to the stress areas around the shroud area, once this laminating has been done we then laminated a striped inwhale which then gets glued in, fit the jib blocks,scarfe in the transom capping and planerette the angle for the gunnels to be glued on.  Glue gunnels on and shape all new woodworking so that it looks like this ………

.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s